Friday, November 11, 2005

Slave Boating

A few weeks ago my friend Melissa invited me to join her for a Dragon Boat practice. Dragon Boating is quite popular here, but I just couldn't understand the draw. There are some real enthusiasts, but to me it was just slave-work with a pretty name. Practice takes place on the Kalang River, which everyone says is better than it used to be. In other words, there used to be even MORE human waste and cat carcasses a couple years ago.

Ok, I'm exaggerating a little bit, but it's still no joy to get splashed in the mouth. And once in a while, when your paddle hits something firm and semi-buoyant just below the water, it really makes you wonder...

1 Comments:

At 1:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok - Bill - that is pretty gross. Seems like Singapore would have better sanitation that that, but then maybe the problem comes from up-stream.

Jim E

 

Post a Comment

<< Home